Monday, August 11, 2008

Amy Whinehouse is ?????

So, in the last couple of days my youngest daughter, Jaelyn, decided that she would begin the chase of her musical dream. She, along with her older brother Gregg, created her very own YouTube channel. Her video debut was that of her very own karaoke cover of Amy Whinehouse's, You No I'm No Good --- not exactly the most innocent of songs ever penned. Well, I was truly floored, as a former professional singer myself, by the sound and interpretation my 13 year old baby was able to produce. And then it hit me? Was Amy this good at the tender age of 13? Did she use to learn the latest hit songs from the radio, run downstairs demanding an audience with her mother and father? Did they even know she was truly an amazing and gifted songstress? Or worse, did they only show her attention, love and affirmation when she performed?
I had a father like that. He believed I would be somebody IF AND WHEN I became famous. Now, don't misunderstand, I love my daddy and I wish every single day I could talk to and see him again. He's been gone from us now for 11 years and that's given me alot of time to reflect on his mistakes --- as well as my own. My daddy did the best he could with what he had been given. And consequently I have learned that I will not give love and affirmation to my children based only on the merits of their performance. I have let them know that God loves them for EXACTLY who they are --- even when they create a heap of a mess. I wonder if Amy ever heard the words, I love you --- just because. I wonder why this gifted creature, that God formed in her mother's womb, is such an utter train wreck. Maybe it was just teenage rebellion that got her started down the path of destruction she seems hellbent on traveling. But maybe, just maybe, she is hiding something much darker. I'm sure I'll never know, but I have prayed for her today as I've watched Jaelyn's video. And then I've thanked God for the gift of my daughter. And I pray even harder she will NEVER know or experience the meaning of the words to that song.

1 comments:

SuperStar! said...

Love your blogs Miami! You truly have a gift for writing and for words....I think this will be my new daily vice. Keep it up...I will tune in for my daily knapp-itude!

LOVE YA SISTA GIRL....AND DON'T EVER FORGET IT! OR ELSE! LOL!

New York